8/22/2011

One Year Anniversary

Well folks here it is. As I leave for the EMS Expo this Saturday it will be my 1 year anniversary at work. I cannot believe I have been working as a Paramedic for over a year now. I am surprised by what has changed and what hasn't.

1 year ago today I could barely work a cot properly. I was the quietest voice on any call or any scene. I sat back and watched picking up small tricks listening to how my crewmates handled situations. I was just barely over shaking on every call. A year ago today was my first time ever working on an ambulance, the first time I had ever been in one outside clinicals. I was only allowed to drive without a pt in the back and never emergently.

People doubted I could even run a call because I did not feel I needed to be the loudest voice on scene. They wondered if I should be driving because I actually drove the speed limit and did not always know the fastest way to facilities.

In the last year so much happened. I had rumors spread about me and due to those rumors I was placed on probation. Within my first day of having to run 2 medic again my partner who was supposed to be retraining me decided that everyone was crazy. That I was actually competent and so we went through every thing I was supposed to know and be able to do. He gave me tests so that we would have physical proof of my competance.

I was released to single medic again after a month. People at work finally began not spreading as many rumors and seeing that I was competent. Then due to the ridiculous amount of calls that came in one night I ended up being on the crew with our dispatcher for the night. That dispatcher happened to be the owner/ boss of the company. We ran a pediatric call with a highly unstable pt. (What we did was not important. Everything that should have been done was done.) After the call as we were cleaning the ambulance he turned to me and just had this llok on his face. I asked him what was up and all he said was "I just wanted to let you know you did a great job on that call.". Then he went back to cleaning and picking up. That simple sentence did more than he will ever know for me. In the following days he continued telling people that I was a good medic and people were telling other people. For once the rumors being spread about me were good.

I can work a cot like a champion. I have tamed the finicky IV pumps. I still have yet to do CPR. Within the last month my white cloud finally burst. Every shift I have been slammed. I transferred my first pt to Flight for Life. I did my first IO. I have learned that it is more important sometimes to hold hands with pts and prattle on about random things for an entire transport if it makes your pt feel better. I have learned to listen for the small things people say. I am still the quietest voice on scene. But that is because I do not have to be the loudest to have effective pt care accomplished. I go to my pt and introduce myself. I rely on my partner to talk to bystanders and figure out the story from them. I talk to my pt and take vital signs. My partners are finally realizing that just because I am quiet does not mean that I am not doing my job. And they listen when I ask them if they could please do things for me. I finally am starting to feel good about where I am and what I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment