4/05/2009

Pre paramedic classes

Tomorrow starts the craziness of what I got myself into.

A little background, up until December I was a student at a Big State University. I was in a major I hated and stuck in classes that I didn't need for the major I really wanted. So I mustered up all the courage I had and said, "Screw this, I am becoming a stripper". JK instead I said "Screw this, I am becoming a Paramedic". So I told my parents, and started packing and applying to the paramedic school that was in my home town. Three weeks before the end of the semester I finally told my friends that I would in fact not be coming back at the end of break.

Then I got to figuring out how I was going to pay for school, and a car and still have enough money at the end to set off on my own to go live like a big girl. Alone.

So now I am trying to get all the extra classes required for an associates degree done before I start the Paramedic core classes. These extra classes would not be so bad if I had started at the beginning of the year like most normal students. But no I am trying to cram 2 years worth of classes into 1.25 years. And trying to work at the same time because books are expensive.

So in a matter of 6 weeks I am taking 12 credits. Yeah doesn't sound that bad to you right. Well for a reference each credit is 20 hours of class time and approximately 20 hours of non-class time aka. homework. So...
12 credits x 40 hours per credit = 480 credit hours.
Divide that by 6 weeks and you get 80 hours a week of class work.

So yeah going to school like this is equal to having 2 full time jobs at the same time and having to take tests and learn in them. All in all it makes for an interesting time.

-Freckles

No comments:

Post a Comment